Tuesday 31 July 2012

Well isn't that Pinteresting..?


I like to think of myself as a collector…. I collect books, material, shoes, threads, paintbrushes, recipes, magazine cuttings, lists of ideas and things I want to do, hairbands and hairclips, poetry, rings, dresses, oh did I mention shoes?  Some may call it hoarding but I argue a creative can never be uncluttered for then how would I remember to make use of all those thoughts and designs? 



And there I was feeling guilty for my keepsaking of what some may say is trivial matter, but low and behold… Pinterest has exposed all you other closet collectors!  Now I know I’m not alone!


If you think about Pinterest and the nature of its existence, its typical of women’s behaviour really and so makes sense. 
“I think I should cook something with beans for dinner… Ooooo, camembert on promotion?!?  Maybe I’ll cook it with a tomato base and pasta…. Oooo I should try out my new pasta machine…. So then I’ll need flour, yeast… I definitely need to get some wine for when I’m doing all this cooking, mmmm... and maybe that new Birdy album to soften the mood… But pasta yes, maybe with some fresh basil…. I don’t know why I don’t just grow my own and keep buying these over-priced small packets of herbs…. I’ll just step into the florist here…”

And yet she went to buy beans.


My aunt refers to it as a “scatter personality”.  You intend on doing your filing but see your cupboard needs cleaning and then start flicking through albums and redoing scrapbooks and…. No filing happening here.


Pinterest is different to the other reams of social sites in that it feeds you ideas of what you want.  Simple.  Brilliant.  Especially as most women don’t even actually know what it is they’re after in the first place.  No wonder most of its 11 million per week visitors are female.  And it makes it personal.  You can make your account fit to you, cater to you, feed your interests and save snippets of you and your life and hobbies in cyberspace.  Well… I think that’s personal.



Pinterest's mission is to "connect everyone in the world through the 'things' they find interesting” via a global platform of inspiration and idea sharing.  It has definitely got me hooked.  My life has a new mantra... sleep less, pin more.



No comments:

Post a Comment